Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Abicloud and Nimbus

Past couple of weeks I had been looking at few of the open source cloud computing environments, primarily Infrastructure as a service offerings. I’ve already mentioned about Eucalyptus in an earlier post, this time I’m going to mention two other offerings in this space – abiquo Abicloud and Nimbus. Though I don’t have the ‘bandwidth’ to evaluate each and give a feature comparison etc, here are few aspects of these environments that I found interesting.

Abicloud

Infrastructure software, for creating and managing cloud infrastructure, where you can create and manage ‘virtual datacenters’, a heterogeneous environment that facilitate private-public clouds to be managed from a single point. Typical cloud infrastructure features such as dynamic provisioning, de-provisioning, scaling etc are promised(I’m yet to try it, my Fedora 9 is giving me a tough time setting up VirtualBox, a pre-requisite for abiCloud). The virtual datacenter concept is what I liked here, a good way to organize and manage your enterprise I.T infrastructure

Nimbus

An aggregation of tools facilitating Infrastructure as a service. Claims they are primarily looking at building clouds/grids for scientific research, but since science and enterprise go hand in hand, I think we can use them too. I’m yet to have a closer look at this, as like any other ‘scientific’ software, looks not very ‘user friendly’ for us who spent too much time in business computing environments, have a look if any of you are interested in getting things done the hard way, but the right way.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I'm Xavi Fernandez, CTO of abiquo. If you need further assistance installing abiCloud, don't hesitate to contact me at xfernandez_at_abiquo_dot_com

    Also, you can ask for assistance in the channel #abiquo of the irc.freenode.net network

    Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Santhosh,
    my name is Diego Parrilla and I'm the BizDev of Abiquo. Connect to the irc.freenode.net network to the #abiquo channel and ask for help to the team about your issues with vBox. They will give you some good advices for sure!

    Thank you for using AbiCloud

    Diego

    ReplyDelete